Foxtail Danger to Dogs
Foxtails are prevalent in many of the yards here in Southern California.
Because of the way foxtails grow, they can easily imbed right through the fur and into the skin. Below is an illustration of what can happen if a dog gets foxtails into his fur. A grass seed that started when it embedded in his coat, penetrated his skin, threaded through his muscles, and partially collapsed his lung. He has a heavy coat, and the only reason we knew something was wrong, was because he did not play basketball with my puppy. When he refused to move and preferred to watch. He seemed bright and very alert, just reluctant to move.I picked up the phone and called the vet and asked if I could get him in for a checkup. His surgery was scheduled the next morning (Thursday)
Entry filed under: Health and Nutrition. Tags: .